Middle Tier of Acquisition (MTA)
How to use this site
Each page in this pathway presents a wealth of curated knowledge from acquisition policies, guides, templates, training, reports, websites, case studies, and other resources. It also provides a framework for functional experts and practitioners across DoD to contribute to the collective knowledge base. This site aggregates official DoD policies, guides, references, and more.
DoD and Service policy is indicated by a BLUE vertical line.
Directly quoted material is preceeded with a link to the Reference Source.
MTA Program Examples and Lessons Learned
- Why the Air Force is using MTA to re-engine the B-52 bomber, Dr. Roper Video, Jun 2019
Rapid Fielding Resources
- Choose Your Own Acquisition Adventure: Ellen Lord, Dec 2019
- Next-Generation Power for the Next-Generation Combat Vehicles, Oct 2019
- Middle-tier acquisition authority features flexible prototype and fielding options, Sept 2019
- Is rapid prototyping the key to space?, Sept 2019
- New Middle Tier Rapid Acquisition Sustainment Policy, 25 March 2019
- Navy will use new legal authorities to speed up top acquisition priorities, Jan 2019
- Sci-Fi Acquisition: The Wrath Of Mid-Tier Krog, Dec 2018
- Middle Tier Acquisition brings big changes to DoD, Aug 2018
- Senior Leader Insights into Agile and Middle Tier Acquisition, Aug 2018
- The US Air Force’s top acquisition exec talks hypersonic prototypes and more, July 2018
- Middle Tier Acquisition: Accelerating the Process for Rapid Prototyping and Fielding, DAU Acquisition Training Symposium, April 2019
- Air Force Association Air, Space & Cyberspace Conference, Sept 2018
- Acquisition Reform – Prototyping, Sustainment, PEO Digital, and the Future of Acquisition panel led by Hon Darlene Costello, with leaders from AF SMC, AF RCO, AF LCMC, & PEO
- Air Force Acquisitions Panel with Lt Gen Bunch, Lt Gen Thompson, and others
- Tools for Speed Panel with Hon Dr Will Roper and others
- Defense Panel Discussion on Middle Tier of Acquisition with Mr Ben Fitzgerald, Dr Jetter, and Dr Roper, June 2018