FAR Based Strategies
Federal Supply Schedules
Contracting by Negotiation
Broad Agency Announcement
Commercial Solutions Opening
Procurement for Experiments
Cooperative R&D Agreement
Partnership Intermediary Agreement
Technology Investment Agreement
Partnership Intermediary Agreement (15 USC §3715)
A Partnership Intermediary Agreement (PIA) is a contract, agreement, or memorandum of understanding with a non-profit partnership intermediary to engage academia and industry on behalf of the government to accelerate tech transfer and licensing.
A Partnership Intermediary means an agency of a state or local gov, or a nonprofit entity owned in whole or in part by, chartered by, funded in whole or in part by, or operated in whole or in part by or on behalf of a State or local Government, that assists, counsels, advises, evaluates, or otherwise cooperates with small business firms and institutions of higher education that need or can make demonstrably productive use of technology-related assistance from a federal laboratory.
For the DoD:
10 U.S.C. §4124 authorizes Science and Technology Reinvention Laboratories (STRLs) Center Directors to use PIAs. These are the STRLs designated by OUSD Research and Engineering (R&E).
- Services to facilitate technology transfer to private sector
- Used by government labs to increase likelihood of success in conducting cooperative or joint activities with small business firms and institutions of higher education to make use of technology-related assistance from a government lab
|Enables Government to pay for services to support technology transfer||Authority available only to government labs|
|Partnership intermediaries can function as objective third-party brokers between government and industry to increase opportunity for commercialization of new capability||Complexity to negotiate and execute increases time to establish agreement|
|Partnership intermediaries can engage in proactive marketing of lab technologies to industry to enable tech transition/tech insertion|
PIA agreements are limited to federal laboratories as defined in 15 U.S.C. §3715 and 10 U.S.C. §4124
- 15 U.S.C. §3715 Use of Partnership Intermediaries
- 10 U.S.C. §4124 Centers for Science, Technology, and Engineering Partnership ***authority changed from to 10 U.S.C. §2368 due to Title 10 Renumbering, effective Jan 2022***
- DoD Science and Technology Reinvention Laboratories (STRLs), OUSD R&E